BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday 17 November 2007

And the latest "WTF!?" news headline prize goest to...

I was watching El-Arabiya the other day and this headline caught my eye (or rather burnt it) as it scrolled across the bottom of the screen. It was more or less similar to this BBC headline :


Saudi gang-rape victim is jailed



This happened after she appealed a sentenced issued against her following her rape 1.5 years ago. According to the article, the victim was
" initially punished for violating laws on segregation of the sexes - she was in an unrelated man's car at the time of the attack. "

And by the way, her punishment was doubled from 90 to 200 lashes with an added bonus of spending 6 months in a luxury prison because it appears that the judges handling her case are sensitive and she hurt their feelings when she appealed because according to them she
" had been attempting to use the media to influence them."

Well, I just can't see what the big fuss is about. I mean, when I read about a woman being gang-raped 14 times by seven men after she met a non-related male in a car(who was also raped and sentenced by the way), I look for the fine print. I look for the truth! She was sitting with an unmarried man...in a car..by themselves...O goodness gracious..what shock, what horror!?
Focus on PRIORITIES people! She broke the laws of segregation! Forget those pesky rapists, we have to make an example out of her for all the girls out their who meet ex-boyfriends in cars to ask for their stuff back! Never again, I tell you! Never again!

And the guys who gang-raped them both?

Well:
"Seven men were found guilty of the rape and sentenced to prison terms ranging from just under a year to five years. "

Their sentences were supposedly doubled but that doesn't really mean much when theoretically (as in, according to the country's friggin' law
), they should receive the death penalty.

So yeah...there's like, nothing even remotely disturbing about this at all. Na-uh, no siree..now allow me to go crawl in the fetal position under my bed and weep.



3 comments:

Om Luji said...

What???????????? That's crazy and against any religion on Earth!

Wild at Heart said...

So sick I couldn't even continue reading. What are they thinking? That she DESERVESto be raped? And isn't rapin a woman aganist the teachings of the Prophet they claim to follow!
So Sick fe3lan. a7'erhom yerkabo gemal.

The Legal Dealer said...

om luji and wild at heart : I couldn't believe it when I heard and read, too. It's just pure
insanity.